Happy international hummus day!!! We all know celebrations need cake, so I decided to top mine with hummus. The end result was out of this world. This fun recipe is easy to make and the BBQ hummus tastes amazing with everything.
Cornbread Cupcakes with BBQ Hummus
- 200g Cornmeal (if you can’t find cornmeal, use polenta as a substitute)
- 100g plain flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 5 tbsp dairy free butter
- 200 ml plant based milk
- 1 flax egg
- 200g chickpeas
- 4 cloves of black garlic ( use roasted garlic as a substitute)
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp aquafaba ( water from the cooked chickpeas) (Add an extra tbsp if you are using the hummus as a dip instead of a frosting)
- chilli flakes
- Make the hummus first to allow the flavors to intensify.
- Add all of the hummus ingredients into a food processor/blender and blend until smooth. Then place the hummus into a container and allow the flavours to marinate for up to 24 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c / 350°f / gas mark 4
- To make the cornbread, first make the flax egg. Add 1 tbsp of ground flax to 3 tbsp of water and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the flax egg is thickening, add all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir them together.
- Next melt the butter in a saucepan. Once melted, take the pan off the heat, add the milk and flax egg to the butter and mix together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until everything is fully incorporated and then pour the batter into 12 cupcake/muffin cases.
- Bake the cornbread for 20 minutes. Once cooked allow them to cool before decorating.
- Finally pipe the hummus onto the cornbread and sprinkle with chilli flakes, chopped chives and pecan nuts.
Note this is two recipes in one. The corn bread and hummus are a delicious combination but can also be enjoyed individually.