Hey everyone! I hope you are all safe and well. We are still on lock-down here in Manchester, so I’m sharing a fun recipe that will make your movie nights more fun. It’s time to bring the cinema snacks to you. Get the popcorn popping and get your loaded nachos ready, with creamy cheese , spicy chilli and cooling yoghut.
These vegan loaded nachos are an easy, fun snack that will take your movie night to the next level.
- 4-6 tortilla wraps or ready-made tortilla chips Chilli
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 tsp of cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp apple cidre vinegar
- 4 tbsp passata (add extra if you want more sauce)
- ½ can cooked beans or lentils Cheese
- ½ cup cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp miso
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 75-100ml plant milk Decoration
- half avocado
- fresh coriander
- natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp corn
- Preheat the oven to 180°C – 350°F – Gas Mark 4
- Place cashews in a pan of boiling water and simmer on a medium to high neat for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Cut the tortillas into small triangles and place onto lined baking trays. Make sure you spread them out so they can bake quickly and evenly. Bake for 10 minutes and check in them. If they need a little longer, flip each chip over to bake on opposite side. Bake until they are golden and crispy. Use a timer so you don’t forget they are in the oven!
- Add the oil to a pan and heat.
- Chop the onions and add the hot oil and cook until they being to caramelise.
- Once the onions are cooked, mash the garlic and salt using the pestle and mortar then add to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add the spices and tomato puree and cook for 30 seconds before adding the passata and apple cider vinegar. Cover the pan with a lid and allow to simmer on a low heat until ready to serve. (We will add the beans last minute as they are already cooked).
- Drain the cashew nuts then add all of the cheese ingredients to the blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Blend with 75 ml of milk and add the extra 25 ml if it’s needed. You want the cheese to be thick but still able to pour over the nachos.
- If you haven’t already, take the tortilla chill out of the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. They will become even crispier once cooled.
- Add half of the cooked beans the chilli and allow to warm through.
- Roughly chop the avocado and the coriander.
- Place the tortilla chips in a bowl. Top with the bean chilli and add a generous drizzle of the nachos cheese sauce. Finally scatter the decorations over the top with the last of the beans and add a last drizzle of natural yoghurt before digging in.