So, this week I have been testing out some cheese recipes and this is one I just had to share. This creamy vegan mozzarella is so easy to make and once you try it, you will never have to use shop bought mozzarella again.
If you make my mozzarella recipe please be sure to tag @pinchofkindness on Instagram and Facebook and use the #pinchofkindness. It fills my heart with joy when I see your foodie creations, so thank you for sharing them with me.
This mozzarella is creamy and light and the perfect topping for your favourite salads or pizzas.
- 150g soaked cashew nuts
- 250ml plant-based milk (I prefer a creamy option like soy or oat)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1. Soak the cashew nuts overnight or boil in hot water for 10 minutes to soften.
2. Once the cashews are ready, place all of the ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth and creamy.
3. Pour the mixture into a sauce pan and place on to a medium heat. Then using a silicone spatula keep mixing until it starts to thicken and form into a ball of gooey cheese. Once this happens, turn off the heat.
4. Next get a large bowl of ice-cold water and an ice-cream scoop. Scoop up a ball of cheese and dip it into the cold water for about 10 seconds, keeping the cheese on the spoon. This is to cool the cheese so you can handle and shape it. When ready, take it off the spoon and use your hands to form a mozzarella ball and place it into the cold water to continue to set.
5. Repeat this process until you have created 6-8 mozzarella balls depending on the size of each scoop.
6. To store your mozzarella, you can create a salt brine (but note this may change the texture of the cheese). Or my preference is to store the cheese as it is, in an air tight container in the fridge. It should last for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the cheese for up to a month but, again, note this will affect the texture of the cheese but the taste will still be creamy and light.